Saturday, September 20, 2008

neighbors

The other morning Jeremy and I were talking about how we could get more involved in our immediate community. Having lived in our current house for three years, we have developed a great group of friends through our church, but somehow don't know the people across the street. Actually, I met the daughter the other day at the grocery store and she recognized me as and we had a fun chat. Then later I realized that it was her little dog that has been sneaking through our fence to play with our dogs (we named him "widget"). But I don't really know them. I can tell you the daily activities of all my neighbors, who cares for their lawn the most, who walks their dogs, who has the most visitors, but I am embarrased to say I don't know most of their names. So this is what Jeremy and I were talking about: how to get to know our neighbors and be involved in our community in a way that we could have an impact.

So then yesterday I'm at this training update for work. It's through Cornell University and while there were a few of us from my agency, there were multiple agencies represented. Some people even came as far as NYC. So there was about 25 of us in all at the training, and as I get to talking to this other guy there I find out he lives in the same town as me. Then I find out he lives in the same neighborhood. And come to find out, he's about 6 houses down from mine on the adjacent street. Small world! I went home that day after giving my new neighbor a ride home from training, and was excited to tell Jeremy that we are one step closer to getting to know our community.

So...do you know your neighbors?

4 comments:

Rachael said...

gasp! you have a man a ride home??? :-)

glad you are getting to know your neighbors ... i smile & wave at mine and we do the "hey how are you" "good, how are you" "good thanks"

good reminder!!

Christi said...

haha, I guess I should clarify.

He had asked a coworker (female) for a ride and she in turn asked if we could all carpool so it would be the three of us. So we all met at my work and drove to training. Then on the way home we realized he lived on my block. There was no way I could drop him off at my work and then have him take the bus 30+ min. home when I was going there myself.

But I did tell him I would have to check with Jeremy before I took him home, which I did, and it worked out well :)

Susan said...

After burning everything from Christmas trees to snowmen, and firing off a few (loud) fireworks at 3 a.m. I find that I'm more comfortable avoiding my neighbors. I've gotten to know the cops pretty well though.

lost in thought said...

i started off well...cooked all my neighbors cookies the first day we moved in and then after that...did nothing!
i agree with Rachel, good reminder :)