Wednesday, November 21, 2007

on family

On the eve of Thanksgiving it seems high time to weigh in on what I am thankful for (as cliche as it all seems). And in spite of all the wacky ways in which my little family keeps changing, I am most thankful for that very thing - my little ever changing family.

A year and a half ago my family consisted of Jeremy, myself and our two dogs. Then we added a little boy. Then a little boy left. Then we added another little boy. Then a little girl (a whole blog in itself). Then the little girl left. Then another little boy came. Then the little boy left. Then two little boys came. Did I lose you yet? We are up to 3 little boys, two adults, two dogs.

Then a little boy left - and here we are in our most recent family photo (minus the dogs).



Ah, the adventures of adopting through foster care. Despite our every changing family photo I wouldn't trade what we do for anything. I love these children that come into our family if only for a season. I love how it grows us and shapes us and allows us to be a part of something huge. I love how it brings out the best in both Jeremy and I and forces us to fully rely on God. All of this I am thankful for, despite the heartache that may accompany it.

"Though the sorrow may last through the night, Joy comes in the morning!"
-from the song Trading My Sorrows

4 comments:

Sonicth3Great said...

I like our little family :-). Michael told me that he likes bottles better than baby food. Anthony said "eeeekkkkkk aaaaaaahhhhhh". That means "feed me more baby food!"

lost in thought said...

i love your little family too! but i really don't think Michael needs anymore babyfood-that's why his diaper was on all wrong today:)

cute house in the background of your picture...wonder where that was?! :)

Anonymous said...

okay so i TOOK that family photo there - and i'm so thankful for your family and love them (all of them) so much! i hope you guys have a great thanksgiving!

Christi said...

I consider the people whose house we are at, and the people that took the photo as part of our little extended family ;-)