Wednesday, October 24, 2007

faith, uncertainty, and valleys

When Dom was about to leave us a few weeks ago, I remember telling a friend that I didn't understand how this fit into God's plan for our life.  She looked me square in the eye and said "This is not about you.  This is not part of God's plan to build  your family.  Maybe this was just about Domiean, and the part God wanted you to play in his life."  I don't know why I was so struck by her words.  But I realized that my perspective was way off.  I was viewing the situation and wondering how it fit into  my plan to build my family, and not trusting how it fits into God's plan.  Why is this so hard?  Why do I try to predict or control the future and have trouble placing faith in Him daily?  With very little certainty in our lives, sometimes we have no choice but to cling to the rock of our salvation, the author and perfector of our faith.  I wish that trust and faith in God came naturally but too often I am reminded that sometimes he forces you into a place where you  must   put your trust in Him.   
 
"But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted loss for the sake of Christ.  More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them rubbish so that I may gain Christ...that I may know him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death."  (Phil. 3:7-8, 10)
 
"For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison."
    
Read an encouraging post today http://acupofjoy.wordpress.com/2007/10/24/daily-dose-of-joy-6/trackback/  that reminded me of this poem.  I used to have it posted on my desk at the church I worked at in Miami.  It was a good reminder :-)
 
IT'S IN THE VALLEYS I GROW
 
Sometimes life seems hard to bear,
Full of sorrow, trouble and woe
It's then I have to remember
That it's in the valleys I grow.

If I always stayed on the mountain top
And never experienced pain,
I would never appreciate God's love
And would be living in vain.

I have so much to learn
And my growth is very slow,
Sometimes I need the mountain tops,
But it's in the valleys I grow.

I do not always understand
Why things happen as they do,
But I am very sure of one thing.
My Lord will see me through.

My little valleys are nothing
When I picture Christ on the cross
He went through the valley of death;
His victory was Satan's loss.

Forgive me Lord, for complaining
When I'm feeling so very low.
Just give me a gentle reminder
That it's in the valleys I grow.

Continue to strengthen me, Lord
And use my life each day
To share your love with others
And help them find their way.

Thank you for valleys, Lord
For this one thing I know
The mountain tops are glorious
But it's in the valleys I grow!
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

lost in thought said...

This is going to seem so random but i realized what you just said while i was watching Master and Commander last night. Sometimes it takes an extreme situation to wake us up and drive us to what is important to us and what really matters and in our case it would be God.

Sonicth3Great said...

Good blog honey :-)