Tuesday, January 15, 2008

late night reading

Last night I finished "Echo Park" by Michael Connelly.  I understand that this may not be the most riveting topic to write about after a several week absense from posting, but considering that I was only on page 30 something when I began reading at 8:30, and then finished the rest of the 457 page novel before going to bed is worth noting. 
 
I'm not quite sure what compelled me to do such a thing.  Around 10:15 Jeremy and I actually headed up to bead, did our devos, and then as Jeremy began watching Bob Ross masterfully paint his happy trees I continued reading my book.  This new book reading habit at night instead of watching TV was intended to help us go to bed earlier.  I tend to watch TV longer and so I thought reading would help me fall asleep better - not so. 
 
I mean, Harry Bosch (main character) had just started interviewing the the alleged murderer in an investigation that had haunted him for 13 years, and I knew there was a twist coming, so I just kept going.  Welp, I got through the entire book, heavy eyes and all.  I wish I could tell you what time I finally finished - 2, 3, 4 am?  But after a certain time at night I flip my clock over so I can't read it.  It's my way of mentally tricking myself into thinking that maybe I got more sleep than I really did.  For instance, maybe I am a speed reader and went to bed by 1am (doubtful) in which case I got a good 5 hours of sleep.  More likely I didn't go to bed till 2 or 3, and probably clocked a mere 3-4 hours of rest.  Mentally I like to think I slept 5 hours :-). 
 
Also of note was that at some point in the night Jeremy started laughing out loud in his sleep.  This happens often, but is particularly funny when I am awake to listen to it.   Sometimes he wakes up right away and tells me what was so funny that he was dreaming about, but I had to wait until the morning to hear the story this time - and yes, it was in fact funny.  
 
Well Michael Connelly, you have succeeded as an engaging author, but have failed to help me fall asleep on time.  I will need to move on to some lighter material tonight and am open to suggestions :-)  
 
 

2 comments:

Sonicth3Great said...

I have some books to read that would put you RIGHT to sleep. Or take out some of your old text books. Or just recognize that the book will still be there tomorrow night, and you can finish then.

Kelly Alberts said...

this won't put you to sleep, but my absolute fav book is the classic "a tree grows in brooklyn". it's highly recommended by ME. i recently read "the bean trees" and it's wonderful, too. :)